Thursday, October 27

Smoking = child abuse ?

Today for the second time ever, I heard someone express the idea that parents who smoke in front of their kids should be "done in for child abuse".

My mind boggles.

I understand non-smokers who rant about smokers, I really do. Smoking is unhealthy, it smells bad, it's a bad habit, etc etc etc. Yes, I know all this.

But really.

Equating smoking with child abuse ? Nope, no way, no how. In fact it's pretty damn offensive to all the great parents out there who just so happen to smoke, and who are raising happy, well adjusted, self confident children.

My father smoked. He also taught me the difference between right and wrong, a sense of personal responsibility, gave me self-confidence, taught me to read and love books, to take an interest in the world at large - I could go on and on.

The fact that he died of lung cancer at 53, when I was 20, is punishment enough for his addiction, wouldn't you think ?

Should he really be tarred in memoriam with the same brush as the people who molest and beat their children ?

For fuck's sake.

No comments:

Post a Comment