Friday, December 22

The Coat

I have a new coat. It's gorgeous, long, black, fur-trimmed on the cuffs and collar. Yes, fur. Rabbit, to be exact, and I don't feel too bad about it - if I can eat it, I figure I should be able to wear its skin, and vice versa.

It's not a young woman's coat, though. Not an old lady coat, either, but a rather bourgeois Parisian of a certain age coat. On weekends I can temper that by wearing it with jeans and motorcycle-type boots, but during the week with my smart-ish work clothes it's very bourge indeed.

Wearing it, I feel like a different person. More impatient, less nice for some reason. It gives me an attitude. I snapped at a post office employee the other day, and I swear it wasn't me, it was the Coat. The Coat doesn't think its wearer should wait in line for over a half an hour only to be told the package she was picking up had been mislaid. The Coat also make me paranoid. Wearing good jewels and a leather jacket, I feel inconspicuous and safe. Wearing jewels and the Coat, I feel like a target for pickpockets. On the other hand, it does get me instantly good service in posh shops.

Clothes may not make the man, but they do allow a woman to role play.

3 comments:

  1. Oh - the coat sounds wonderful! I have two fur indulgences - both are vintage pieces: a coat from the 1940's (fox? I don't know), and a mink hat from the 50's. I feel guilty as sin wearing them and I don't think I'm brave enough to wear them in public for fear of someone vandalizing them. *sigh* Such a waste. Of course, I'd never buy "new" fur, unless it was also from an animal that I'd eat. Enjoy your coat, I say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't if funny how what you wear defines sort of how you act/are being treated. I know I still look behind me when someone calls me ma'am. Enjoy the perks that the Coat brings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oz, I bet you'd look delicious in fur, I really do.

    Rabbit isn't so bad. It's super soft and it's not like it's an endangered species. I eat rabbit, I've raised rabbits, they're pretty simple creatures. I say enjoy the coat.

    Be ravishing in it!

    ReplyDelete