Wednesday, May 24

hyperventilating

I've been offered the job !

My post below was very "meh" - I'll admit that the idea of staying in the same exact business was not really a strong selling point prior to the interview as the whole point of changing jobs for me is, well, change.

But the people seem nice, and that's crucial to enjoying any job - the most exciting career in the world would still suck if you were surrounded by assholes all day. They actually had photos and decorations on their desks, and personalized surroundings. Current office is as sterile and cold as anything, no one leaves anything personal on their desks, and I think that's a highly symbolic difference.

When I was introduced around to the team they stopped working and had time for a chat and didn't look over their shoulders fearfully whenever a manager walked past. At current office, candidates are not introduced to anyone other than the execs who carry out the actual interview process, until their first day on the job. No chance for a casual talk about what it's like to work here, and no one asks the admin staff's opinion on potential new recruits. No sirree.

So yes, it's the same business, but I think things will be different. In a good way.

Now all I have to do is resign and negotiate my notice period.

Will the shit hit the fan ?

Will my boss, who is a nice enough guy personally but a killer professionally, be decent and understanding or will he take my departure as a betrayal of the Firm, or even worse, Himself ?

Stay tuned... answers next Monday.

5 comments:

  1. Wow Chi, that's great news. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks hon ! I'm really nervous about the whole resignation process - while leaving a job shouldn't be a confrontational experience, I'm afraid it will turn into one. Am just a big wuss, really...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:49 AM

    Hey Chi, that is good news!! Congrats and good luck. -- Peromyscus

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! It's going to be great!

    ReplyDelete