Sunday, September 24

Supper for one

Leftover smoked haddock (previously poached in milk) and plain boiled potatoes, flaked and cut into bite-sized pieces, topped with a couple gobs of mayo and a squeeze of lemon juice. Eat straight from the tupperware container, in front of 'puter.

I can eat some pretty strange things when I'm alone and lazy and have no witnesses to my unearthly combos, but this is good, good enough to be fancied up and presented to guests in the future, with a handful of chopped scallions and/or parsley on top. In a pretty bowl, of course, and a good bottle of white...

4 comments:

  1. Oh, YEA that sounds really good. Now you've made me hungry :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:44 PM

    You hit apon a classic dish for supper. ...only use cod instead . Soak the dry cod in water, flake it, simmer in broth, water or milk....place on mashed potatoes. Turn the broth into gravy with flour or cornstarch...season and eat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julia, that's only fair, all of your food posts make me hungry!

    Anon, that's called brandade de morue in French! It's usually oven-baked afterwards, right, like a cod based version of shephard's pie?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the sound of that, thank you for a good supper idea. Sometimes, despite my rafts of cookery books, I struggle to find things that take my fancy!

    ReplyDelete