Friday, July 21

So sad.

Am not usually an overly weepy person, but on the Metro this evening I had a hard time fighting back tears.

We had just seen Tsotsi, which is a rather emotional experience in itself. Then on the way home, we notice a young man passing out flyers with a photo and description of a missing person. He's not just handing them out, he is calling out to people, urging them to contact the police or the number on the flyer should they see the missing person.

His name is Thierry, he is autistic, and he has been missing since July 16th.

I vaguely remember seeing the same flyer up on the side of a phone booth in my neighborhood, and not paying any particular attention, but it is now days later, and I think of the parents of the missing child in the movie we've just seen, and the family of this young man, sick with worry.

Then S tells me he had seen this friend or family member much earlier in the day, at another metro station, doing the same thing, and my heart just breaks.

I hope Thierry returns safely to the people who care about him. And I count my blessings.

1 comment:

  1. That is sad. All the best to Thierry and his family.

    ReplyDelete