Friday, April 7

2 down, 2 to go

It finally happened this morning. S had 2 of his wisdom teeth out and will get the other 2 sorted in 2 or 3 weeks or so. He ended up going to a (competent and friendly enough) dentist in a medical centre rather than to the (no doubt competent and friendly enough, with a private practice in a posh and expensive part of town) dentist who was initally recommended, so the procedure cost 105 € instead of 280 €, and most of it will be reimbursed by a combination of national health and private insurances.

Really, when you're having your teeth pulled, is it worth paying an extra 175 € for a well decorated waiting room with a good selection of magazines ? I think not.

In other news, the internet connection at home has just been re-established after having been down for 3 days, because of a "technical intervention" (uh-huh...) by the internet service provider on our phone line. It took 4 phone calls to the technical assistance hotline, and a lot of frustration on my part, before I finally spoke to someone who knew exactly what the problem was and sorted it out in a few minutes.

The other guys I spoke to were very polite and friendly and charming but had no clue. They kept asking me to plug and unplug and try this and try that as if it were my installation that was at fault. Dudes - everything worked fine until YOUR company did something to my phone line - sort it out, people. Grrrr. (One person actually told me to turn the computer off, try again the next day, and call them back if it still didn't work - the IT equivalent of "take 2 aspirin and call me in the morning")

All the more annoying given the fact that every minute spent on the hotline costs an exhorbitant amount of money. At that price I'll take curtness and efficiency, thank you very much.

1 comment:

  1. Aaargh! I sense your frustration with the IT guys. It tends to be a very male-dominated profession, and a lot of them just don't "get" that there are women out there who DO have a clue about their computers, etc.

    Hope that "S" recovers quickly.

    ReplyDelete